2023 Classical Commissioning Program
Chamber Music America’s Classical Commissioning program provides grants to professional U.S.-based presenters and ensembles whose programming includes Western European and/or non-Western classical and contemporary music. Grants are provided for the commissioning and performance of new works by American composers. The program supports works scored for 2-10 musicians performing one per part, composed in any of the musical styles associated with contemporary classical music.
The Board of Directors of Chamber Music America has made diversity, inclusion, and equity a primary focus of the organization's work, and has adopted the acronym ALAANA (African/Black, Latinx, Asian/South Asian, Arab, and Native American) for use in its equity focus. Read CMA’s Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity.
Women and ALAANA composers have historically been under-represented as Classical Commissioning program grantees. To help applicants become familiar with these artists, CMA has compiled a database of ALAANA, women, and gender non-conforming composers who have expressed interest in creating new work for classical/contemporary chamber ensembles. The Composers Equity Project can be found on CMA’s website.
CMA’s goal, through its panel process, is to arrive at a final slate of grantees whose composers are representative of the field in terms of race, gender, and contemporary style. Applicants are presented anonymously to panelists who, through multiple rounds, review submitted sound samples only, and make their selections without knowing the identities or demographics of the ensembles and composers.
Grants made through this program are funded through the generosity of The Mellon Foundation.
- All applications must be completed and submitted by the deadline using the online system.
- The composer and any guest artists must be confirmed at the time application.
- The primary contact serves as the main contact for the application and the grant if funded.
DEADLINE: April 13, 2023, 11:59 PM ET
- Create a free Submittable account or log-in to your existing Submittable account.
- Prepare your attachments and name them as indicated on the application.
- Upload required files to online application.
- When the application is complete, click “Submit.”
- CMA will confirm receipt via email.
Program: Susan Dadian, Grant Programs Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 242-2022, x102
Membership: Geysa Castro, Director of Membership Services, email@example.com
Technical: Submittable Help