Chamber Music America’s Classical Commissioning Program provides grants to U.S.-based presenters and professional contemporary classical and world music ensembles for the commissioning and performance of new works by American composers.
The program supports works scored for 2–10 musicians performing one per part,
composed in any of the musical styles associated with contemporary classical
Grants provide a composer’s fee ranging from $5,000 to $20,000 depending upon
instrumentation and length of the work; a $1,000 honorarium for each ensemble
member to rehearse the new piece; and up to $1,000 for copying costs.
If a grant is awarded, the composer must complete the work by September 30, 2018,
and the ensemble is required to give three public performances in U.S. venues
by June 30, 2020. The ensemble has exclusive rights for performing and
recording the new work until June 30, 2020. The composer retains all rights to
GUIDELINES and FAQs
- All applications must be complete and submitted by the deadline using the online system.
- The composer and any guest artists must be confirmed at the time application.
- The applicant serves as the main contact for the application and the grant, if funded.
DEADLINE: April 2, 2017, Midnight, ET
- Create a free Submittable account or log-in to your existing Submittable account.
- You may type directly into the online form or draft your responses in an offline document and cut/paste your information into the online application.
- To save the work you have done on your application, you must click the "Save Draft" button at the bottom of the form before exiting. You may return to your saved application to continue working on it by following the log-in instructions. Submittable maintains your draft for 21 days. CMA recommends that you also save your draft in an offline document as backup.
- Prepare your attachments and name them as follows: Applicant Name—Type of Attachment (e.g., ABC Ensemble—Memorandum of Understanding)
- Upload required files to online application.
- When the application is complete, click “Submit.”
- CMA will confirm receipt via email.
Program: Susan Dadian
, (212) 242-2022, x102
Membership: Aryo Wicaksono
, (212) 242-2022, x114
Technical: Submittable Knowledgebase